Thursday, 4 August 2016

'Reasons to Stay Alive' By Matt Haig | A Review

Recently I have rekindled my love for reading, alongside aesthetically pleasing Instagram feeds and beautifully filmed montages; these led me to Will Darbyshire. Will makes beautiful videos, and he just so happened to make one about 'Reasons to Stay Alive'. Now, me being someone who thrives on philosophical questions/statements and aesthetically pleasing videos, I just had to watch this.

I'm not going to give away any spoilers of the video, but needless to say its beautiful mood lighting and message had turned me into a sobbing heap of blankets and emotional turmoil. After watching the video I found out a necessity to read the book it was based upon. 

'Reasons to Stay Alive', which I like to call my 'Bible', deserves to be put on a pedestal and bowed down to. Matt Haig, the genius behind this beautiful piece of literature, pours his heart and soul out across each and every page, but still allows the book to be a relatable source.

By relatable, I don't mean a typical white girl, who wears snapbacks and UGG boots and only orders a frothy white, whipped cream latte, with 2 shots, a dash of milk and extra sprinkles from Starbucks. However, it did hit close to home. The majority of this blog turned out to be a physical representation of my head space... and for a while, it was a space I didn't want to be in.

I'm not going to give you any spoilers, because that is just mean; what I will say is Matt Haig has a beautiful way of writing in order for you to be comforted about such a sensitive topic. The chapters are short and easy to read, I liked that they were short and sweet, yet the didn't sugar-coat the difficulties of living with a mental illness. 

Overall, despite the hard hitting topic, this book still remained happy. The book may very well be about depression, anxiety, depersonalisation, suicidal tendencies, etc. but Matt Haig's humour doesn't go a miss; for example 'Beware of Tuesdays and Octobers' is such a bizarre thing to say, but in light of what the book is about, it adds more of Matt Haig's personality instead of just his mind/person. 

It's hard to find a book that remains truthful about mental health disorders, but still provides you peace and comfort at the end...at least it was hard, my search for such a book is now over.

Let me know if you have ever read 'Reasons to Stay Alive'. Did you enjoy it? Did you hang off every word Matt Haig said?

No comments:

Post a Comment