Sunday, 22 May 2016

I Fell In Love With Words

As an English student, I have a strong admiration for words. My appreciation varies from words like "and" to words such as "transmogrification". I seek love and meaning and purpose in each and every word I read, only to find inspiration and a path for me to explore. Poetry. 


For the last 8 months I have been studying the beautiful poetry collection "Field Work", by the oh so clever Seamus Heaney. Heaney is inspired by nature and shows this through his poetry. He often means something else when he uses poetry as inspiration. My favourite poem by Heaney might be "Song". He uses it to form a basis of a feminist argument, and its so empowering. Displaying IMG_2077.JPGDisplaying IMG_2077.JPG


I figured, poetry is for anyone who wishes to pursue it. It doesn't need a rhyme or reason, a time of day, so long as you've got an idea anything works. This is why poetry is so beautiful. I've often thought of poetry to be a way of finding your inner most deepest thoughts. I describe it as a dark room. This dark room is the neglected part of your brain where mish-mash memories and thoughts hang from the ceiling of your skull. It takes one spark of inspiration for you to have this want for creating something. This inspiration is the light in the room. When this light comes on you begin to recall thoughts, memories and opinions that you had completely forgotten about. Poetry helps you find out things about yourself that you never thought had existed, but do.


I, like Heaney, am inspired by nature. I find so many stories hidden between the branches of trees, and so many words written in the cracks of the street, that I have too many to actually use.


I like to think I have a way with words when I want to, and I often post poetry on my Instagram (@little_meyt) if you so wish to check some of them out.

Love,
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment