Friday, 5 September 2014

A Quote

About a fortnight ago I finished reading Looking For Alaska (worth the read, and the tears). There was one quote in there that really flicked a switch though- "Y'all smoke to enjoy it, I smoke to die."
  In no means am I trying to hint at the fact I smoke (for the record, I don't). It just shows how the same things can have a different meaning to some people. Lately I've been feeling quite rubbish, don't ask me why because I don't know myself (probably school). Instead of walking around with a face like a ripped dap, I smiled. I smiled to save people the hassle of fussing over me, others smiled to show genuine happiness. I'm fine now though, so no need to worry haha.
  I just find that things like this give us an insight into the person, or in Alaska Young's case, a book character. It's so interesting, I find, to listen to what a person says, how they say it, what they mean. As much as what a person can say, it's also what they can't. Silence speaks volumes.
  Sadly, today, we are given the image of death whether its in novels (thanks for that John Green), whether it's in TV shows (casualty seems to be a popular one), and even in most movies (again, thanks John Green, also to the makers of If I Stay...). Death is everywhere we look these days; some people want it to come painlessly, some people want to leave the world having left their mark, some people, unfortunately, decide it cannot come fast enough- going back to the quote.
  This was a mish-mash of sentences that most likely didn't make sense, I understand. I just hope that someone out there understands what I'm getting at.

Thank you for reading,
  I love you lots, like Jelly Tots,
   With Love,
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment