Sunday, 16 March 2014

How To: Make-Up Brush Holder

Hello Everyone! Today I thought I'd show you how I organise my brushes and the little beauty that holds them all together.
So... Let's get to it!

First of all, you will need a medium sized vase, but it needs a wide opening (mine is from Matalan for £6). This is so your brushes can spread out once you've put them in the brush holder.

To fill my vase I bought pink crystals from a small card shop in my town centre, and the glass beads are from Wilkinsons and they were £1 per bag.
   If you wish to decorate the vase then you can get some ribbon. I tied mine in a bow and sewed it onto another length of ribbon. I made the length of ribbon to fit the thinnest part of the vase.

First of all, you want to go ahead and fill the bottom of the vase with the glass beads. This will mean that you have more crystals to fill up the rest of the vase than even out the bottom of the vase.

Once you've added in the glass beads, go in and add the pink crystals about 2/3 of the way up. This leaves room for when the brushes are pushed in and the beads rise a bit.

You then want to go and push your brushes in. The beads and crystals hold the brushes up straight and stop them from moving.
If you wish to decorate the vase, cut one length of ribbon, I bought a pink spotty reel of it of eBay, and cut it to fit the thinnest part of the vase. This will stop the ribbon from sliding down the vase. Once you've got one length of ribbon, cut another length the same size, but this time tie it in a bow. To stop the edges of the bow from fraying, cut the edges so they form the shape of a snake's tongue (I'm sorry, that's the only way I can explain it). Take the knot of the bow and thread cotton through it, take the needle and thread through the other length of ribbon (the one that's to go around the vase), repeat this step twice more to secure the bow to the ribbon. Wrap the length of ribbon around the vase and find where the two ends meet (I should have mentioned this before but make sure you have some excess ribbon to overlap). Take the overlapping end of ribbon and pierce a sewing pin through it and then through the other end of the ribbon; this will secure the ribbon and stop you from dealing with the whole 'stabbing your finger with the needle' fiasco that I experienced. Not fun.


Well, there you have it, a pretty make-up brush holder that takes all of 10 minutes to make. You can make it to match the colour of your bedroom like I did, or you can make one for a family member or a friends birthday.
I hope you liked this DIY, there will be a lot more appearing on here now as I have cushions to finish sewing etc. So I hope I inspired you to make something pretty and unique to your style.
Thank you for reading,
  I love you lots like Jelly Tots,
    With Love,
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'll give your blog a read as soon as I can! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Let me know if you are going to give it a whirl, send me a photo on instagram (@funsizeblogger)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fab, such a great way to make your brushes look pretty! Mine aren't currently in any form of holder :( Need to do something like this!

    Great post :D

    Charlotte,
    charlottewritesblog.co.uk xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I highly recommend you do! When I eventually get round to finish cleaning the avalanche of a bedroom I sleep in, there'll be a post on my bedroom, storage, how I decorated it etc. It will be a rather lengthy post me thinks!

      Katie xx

      Delete
  4. Such a fun and creative thing to do, I love it. I shall be doing that soon with my own brushes! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Glad I've shown you a nicer way to display your brushes! What's the point in buying nice brushes if you can't show them off right? :) xx

      Delete